Sanity in the World?

Into all lives, a little Sanity must fall.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

See post here: About Me

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Politics & Celebrities

The Non-Support Celebrities take aim at Politics-
Alec Baldwin:

Cheney's the guy who told Libby to out Valerie Plame. The rumor I heard is that someone yelled, "Look out! Shooter!" and Cheney thought he said Scooter and fired in that general direction.

Cheney is a terrorist. He terrorizes our enemies abroad and innocent citizens here at home indiscriminately. Who ever thought Harry Whittington would be the answer to America's prayers. Finally, someone who might get that lying, thieving Cheney into a courtroom to answer some direct questions.

Link




Lauren Hutton:

A bizarre moment on CBS's Early Show on Thursday: In the midst of promoting her new cosmetics line for women over 35, former model turned actress Lauren Hutton, after incomprehensibly announcing that “the big nuke is the sun,” went into a feminist rant about how “governments everywhere are men and it is ancient and insane and shameful." She conceded, however, that without men we wouldn't have bridges or airplanes and that men are “fun in bed.” In fact, she shared how she's had sex with women too, but “I prefer men."

Link



Eddie Vedder lead singer of Pearl Jam:

Public revulsion at trashing the President in a time of war. “Incensed fans walked out of Pearl Jam's concert Tuesday after lead singer Eddie Vedder impaled a mask of President Bush on a microphone stand, then slammed it to the stage."

..........

...Most of Vedder's antiwar remarks earlier in the Pepsi Center show were greeted with mixed cheers and scattered boos. But dozens of angry fans walked out during the encore because of the macabre display with the Bush mask, which he wore for the song Bushleaguer, a Bush-taunting song from the band's latest album, Riot Act.

"When he was sharing his political views in a fairly benign manner -- supporting our troops, opposing policy -- that's OK," said Keith Zimmerman, of Denver.

"When he takes what looks like the head of George Bush on a stick, then throws it to the stage and stomps on it, that's just unacceptable. I love Pearl Jam, but that was just way over the edge. We literally got up and left."

"I wasn't sure if it was really happening," said Kim Mueller. "We looked at each other and realized he really did have George Bush's head on a stick and was waving it in the air, then slammed it to the ground and stepped on it."

"It was like he decapitated someone in a primal ritual and stuck their head on a stick," Zimmerman said....

Link


Mike Farrell (MASH):

....Actor Mike Farrell, best known for his role as Trapper John's replacement in "M*A*S*H," has emerged as a leading antiwar activist. This month, he even engaged in a surreal debate on geopolitics with former Senator Fred Thompson on "Meet the Press." "It is inappropriate," Farrell declared, "for the administration to trump up a case in which we are ballyhooed into war."

But in 1999, Mr. Farrell defended the Clinton administration's rationale for war in Kosovo: "I think it's appropriate for the international community in situations like this to intervene. I am in favor of an intervention." To avoid casualties, the Clinton administration had bombers fly at such high altitudes that "collateral damage" to civilians was bound to increase.

Hollywood stars were oddly silent when Mr. Clinton dropped bombs on Afghanistan and an aspirin factory in Sudan in 1998 in an unsuccessful attempt to deter Osama bin Laden. They were silent when, also in 1998, Mr. Clinton signed the Iraq Liberation Act into law and made regime change official U.S. policy....

Link


Sheryl Crow:

Sheryl Crow is appalled by George Bush's moves against Iraq, but she had no problem with Bill Clinton's intervention in the Balkans. The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the singer accompanied Hillary Clinton on a USO tour to entertain U.S. troops in Bosnia. "Once over there, I felt extremely patriotic," Ms. Crow told a reporter that year. "Here are these people, from 18-year-olds to military veterans, enduring real duress for the cause of peace. I don't ever want to play for a regular audience again, only military folks who are starving for music." Ms. Crow hasn't been seen around any military bases lately.



Jamie Lee Curtis:

An anti-Bush outburst from a Hollywood celebrity on ABC's The View on Wednesday. When penta-host Meredith Vieira dared to pass along how President Bush said he will not be swayed by the anti-liberation of Iraq marches because he will not make policy based on a “focus group” since “he believes that the role of a leader...is to decide policy based upon the security of the people," guest penta-host Jamie Lee Curtis flew into a rage: "So then what is he talking about that it's a focus group? That was millions of people!...That was millions of the people that he's supposed to serve."

..........

- On President Bush
Vieira: "But the rap against Clinton was that he always had his finger up testing the wind, that he basically governed by focus group. Is that any better?"

Star Jones: "Well, I guess, you know, I guess the President says the majority of the people didn't elect him, he doesn't have to listen to 'em anyway."

Curtis agreed: "They didn't elect him, actually, at all."

Link


Queen Latifah:

.....Actress Queen Latifah implies "Whole Cold War Thing" a Ruse....
Queen Latifah, who was just nominated for an Academy Award, suggested the “whole Cold War thing,” in which “they made us scared” of the Soviet Union, was a big ruse.

“Don’t you want to know what’s real and what’s not? I remember when I was a kid, you know, this whole Cold War thing. They had us scared of the Russians. 'The Russians, the Russians, the Russians.' So it’s almost like what’s real and what’s not?”

Link


Danny Glover:

...“Yes, he’s racist,” Glover said in response to a question from a reporter from the Brazilian magazine Into E, according to our source’s translation.

“We all knew that but the world is only finding it out now. As Texas’s governor, Bush led a penitentiary system that executed more people than all the other U.S. states together. And most of the people who died from [the] death penalty were Afro-Americans or Hispanics.”

Glover continued: “[Bush] promoted a conservative program, designed to eliminate everything Americans had accomplished so far in matters of race and equality.”...

Link


Dustin Hoffman:

Dustin Hoffman denounces President Bush for his Iraq policy and arguing it's all about oil.

"For me as an American, the most painful aspect of this is that I believe that administration has taken the events of 9/11 and has manipulated the grief of the country and I think that's reprehensible," he said.

"I don't think, like many of us, that the reasons we have been given for going to war are the honest reasons.

"If they are saying it's about the fact they have biological weapons and might have nuclear weapons and that gives us the liberty to pre-empt and strike because we think they might hit us, then what prevents Pakistan from attacking India, what prevents India from attacking Pakistan, what prevents us from going into North Korea?

"I believe -- though I may wrong because I am no expert -- that this war is about what most wars are about: hegemony, money, power and oil".

Link


Ed Harris

Actor Ed Harris, who conceded to CNSNews.com that his wife, who is pro-abortion and an advocate for “women's rights,” has “educated me over the 20 years we have been together to the point where she's got me in her hip pocket," charged that President George W. Bush is not “a man,” apparently because of his pro-life position.

Harris leveled his insult at Bush's manhood during an appearance at Tuesday night's NARAL Pro-Choice America banquet. Harris is married to actress Amy Madigan who serves on the Board of Directors for NARAL Pro-Choice America.

When the spotlight turned on for him, he delivered some perfunctory remarks about the need to make sure women continue to have the right to make decisions about their own bodies. When he finished, the spotlight on his platform was turned off, but Harris protested and made clear he had something more to say: "Can I say one last thing?”

His plea worked and the spotlight on him was restored. He then launched into this mean-spirited personal attack on President Bush [be warned, obscenity is this quote]:

“I haven’t even been drinking, but, at all, but, you know, being a man, I’ve got to say that we’ve got this guy in the White House who thinks he is a man, you know, who projects himself as a man because he has a certain masculinity, and he's a good old boy, and he used to drink, and he knows how to shoot a gun and how to drive a pickup truck, etcetera like that. That’s not the definition of a man, God dammit!"

Link


George Clooney:

Referring to how the Bush team is getting other nations to go along, Clooney suggested: "The government itself is running exactly like the Sopranos and they sit back and they make deals. And they say okay, 'I’m going do this: France, you're getting the pipelines.'...”

..........

"The problem is we elected a manager, and we need a leader," Clooney tells the magazine. "Let's face it: Bush is just dim."



Woody Harrelson:

....We've killed a million Iraqis since the start of the Gulf war -- mostly by blocking humanitarian aid. Let's stop now....

..........

This is a racist and imperialist war. The warmongers who stole the White House (you call them "hawks", but I would never disparage such a fine bird) have hijacked a nation's grief and turned it into a perpetual war on any non-white country they choose to describe as terrorist.



Jessica Lange:

“I hate Bush,” Lange spewed last week when receiving an award at a film festival in Spain. She added: “I despise him and his entire administration” and that “what Bush intends to do with Iraq is unconstitutional, immoral and illegal.”

..........

said she was “ashamed to come from the United States” and, since the “atmosphere in my country is poisonous, intolerable for those of us who are not right-wing,” she thanked the festival organizers for “allowing me to get out” of the U.S. for “a few days.”

..........

-- On George W. Bush: “I despise him. I despise his administration and everything they stand for.”


-- “To my mind the election was stolen by George Bush and we have been suffering ever since under this man's leadership.”


-- “And I think this latest thing with Iraq is absolute madness and I'm stunned that there is not opposition on a much more global scale to what he's talking about.”


-- “There has to be a movement now to really oppose what he is proposing because it's unconstitutional, it's immoral and basically illegal.”


-- “It is an embarrassing time to be an American. It really is. It's humiliating.”



Misc Celebrities:

Last year Glover was amongst a bunch of left-wing celebrities, including Ed Asner, Jane Fonda, Susan Sarandon and Marisa Tomei, who helped pay for a full page New York Times ad, from a group called Not in Our Name, denouncing President Bush’s war on terrorism. The ad screeched: “We call on all Americans to RESIST the war and repression that has been loosed on the world by the Bush administration. It is unjust, immoral, and illegitimate.” The signers also equated 9/11 with the terror inflicted by the U.S. military in Baghdad, Panama City and Vietnam.

..........

Streisand’s Liberal Rants at Star-Studded Democratic Fundraiser; Barbra Urges “Offensive” Against Bush; Asner: Bush “Desecrating” America; Robbins: Bush Wants to Deflect from Halliburton; Cruise & Spielberg on Hussein; Top Ten List: “If Streisand Were President”
Read it all

Link


Richard Dreyfuss

Dreyfuss declared: "I think that the lack of clarity in this country about why we're going to send young men to die and kill people is enormous.”

......

-- Criticizing conservatives: "I don't understand why everyone is so interested, especially people who are conservatives who say they want to conserve, have conservative values, why they're willing to give the executive such power that simply doesn't exist in the Constitution. I mean the Constitution says very clearly Congress has to declare war."
Sorry bud, but your lying - sanity





Now for some Supporters-
Kid Rock:

“Kid Rock,” who performed a duet at the Grammy Awards with Sheryl Crow, does not share her anti-liberation of Iraq views, the New York Daily News reported on Monday. An excerpt from the February 24 “Rush & Molloy” column:

...."Why is everybody trying to stop the war? George Bush ain't been saying, 'You all, make s-y records.' Politicians and music don't mix. It's like whisky and wine. [Musicians] ought to stay out of it."

But it doesn't take much nudging to hear the Kid's policy analysis. "We got to kill that mother-[bleeper] Saddam," he says. "Slit his throat. Kill him and the guy in North Korea."

Are some women and children going to die? "Yeah. But is doing the right thing. You got money, you sit around talking about peace. People who don't have money need some help."...

Link



Jason Priestley:

Priestley, Morano relayed, “lamented the excessive coverage of anti-war celebrities by what he termed the 'liberal media.'”

"I think more people should keep their opinions to themselves," Priestley said. He was particularly incensed by Moore's acceptance speech.

"It was shocking. I did not believe that was the forum to voice your opinions. Michael Moore is allowed to have opinions and his opinions are valid like everyone else's opinion, but I just didn't think the Academy Awards were the place to voice them in that manner," he explained.

'Keep their mouths shut'




Kelsey Grammer:

Actor Kelsey Grammer, who plays the lead role in NBC's "Frasier" sitcom, said he refused to watch this year's Academy Awards because of the anti-war "crap" that fellow celebrities spewed.

Grammer said he was spared filmmaker Michael Moore's anti-war acceptance speech and attack on the Bush administration at the March 23rd Academy Awards. "I didn't hear it because I didn't watch [the Academy Awards], Grammer told CNSNews.com.

"I wasn't interested. I knew that that kind of crap was going to be there and I thought, I am not interested," Grammer added.

Grammer called Moore's movie "a one-sided film" and blamed the media for giving so much publicity to Moore's anti-war speech.

"The media just loves to pay attention to whatever is happening that makes the most noise," Grammer explained.






Robert Duvall:

Actor Robert Duvall said he is not a fan of Michael Moore, and he lashed out at Hollywood political activists.

"They should keep their mouths shut," Duvall said.

Link




Shannon Doherty:

Doherty proclaimed: “I'm a Republican...I'm a big supporter of President Bush.” Justifying her support to a less than enthusiastic audience in New York City, Doherty added: “C'mon, our troops are over there, we gotta be supportive.”

Link



Dennis Miller / Katie Couric Interview:

Couric: “You would agree though, Dennis, that you push the envelop certainly, and, and you know you, you enjoy offending certain people and sensibilities. Yes?"

Miller: "Well yeah, probably like Bill Clinton. I never liked Clinton and I always liked winding him up, you know? And I'm sure he doesn't even know who I am probably but I always would take-”

Couric: "I'm sure he does actually."

Miller: "-I would always take, yeah I just thought that, he, he didn't earn my respect. Conversely Bush who I never thought I would, you know when he first came in thought I don't even know what to make of this guy. I've grown very fond of him. I think he's handled himself amazingly with some of the most brutal cards that history's ever dealt anybody."

Couric: "And you've certainly, you, you've been very supportive of the war."

Miller: "Oh I'm proud that he's my President. You know, I'm, I'm like Bush I see the world more like checkers than chess. I think that's how George Bush sees the world. I think it's more of a pragmatic thing and I consider myself a pragmatist. You know I'm a huge fan of the President's. I might, I might start pronouncing it, nuclear, [mispronounces nuclear like Bush does] just as an homage."

Couric: "What do you think, you know obviously, it, it's interesting to me how people in this country are, are either sort of appalled when celebrities come out with political positions or just want nothing to do with that and, and really don't care how they feel one way or the another?"

Miller: "Yeah well I assume there's a lot of people who could care what I feel about it. All I know is that I, I have to express my opinions right now. I'm a, I'm a comedian that talks about topical issues and this is the topic of the day. People say, 'Do you worry about your career out in Hollywood?' You know my career is, I've gotten a better deal than I ever thought I was gonna get. What is the urge to have a nicer house if you can't live with yourself? You gotta speak your mind?"

Couric: "Meanwhile you, you've missed a lot of opportunities because of the time of the special because you, you have great French jokes."

Miller: "Well the French have great French jokes. I mean, you know I went down and took the UN tour, even the guidebook is spineless. [Laughter in the studio, Couric grimaces and then smiles.] See to me we move the furniture, the French come in later and put the doilies on top of it, you know? It's a, it's a simple fact they've always been reluctant to surrender to the wishes of their friends and are almost anticipatory in their urge to surrender to wishes of their enemies. And if they want to get their hands dirty now they're just gonna have to run 'em through their own hair. I think they should come in and I think they should come in now and act as a concierge for Iraq and take care of the day to day. Theater tickets."

Couric: "You, you, you said their rationale, their rationale for invading Iraq would've been what?"

Miller: "Well, well if they found truffles in there. You know these are people who get off work when the day they invented béarnaise. This, this is an odd culture over there."

Couric: "You, you said that, that when the, when the United States had the decency to chisel off the arm-"

Miller: "Off the armpit hair from the Statue of Liberty. Listen, if they keep pushing us maybe we invade Iraq then invade Chirac. You want a pipeline from the oil fields over to the Eiffel Tower? Turn it into the world's biggest oil derrick, you just have Bush down at the bottom in a cowboy hat with a lariat and a branding-iron putting a big 'W' on Chirac's ass, it'll drive him crazy."

Couric: "Okay on that note Dennis Miller. Wow what did you have for breakfast?"

Miller: "Nothing yet."

Couric: "I want whatever it was."

Link


Dennis Miller on the Tonight Show:

Another round of pro-American patriotism, pro-President Bush and anti-liberal jibes, jests, zingers and slams from actor/comedian Dennis Miller on Thursday's Tonight Show with Jay Leno, including a nice shot at Peter Arnett: “How am I supposed to trust the honesty of a reporter that has that bad of a comb-over on top of his head?...Hey guess what Pete? We know you're bald, okay? The outside of your skull is as empty as the inside.”

..........

-- Pride in conduct of the war:
“I cannot tell you how proud watching that war coverage makes me. I know a lot of people are saying that they think that it's, that you know what we're doing is imperialistic. I watch the way we handle ourselves over there and I've never felt more patriotic in my life.”

..........

-- Denouncing anti-war protesters, Miller described how he puts them into four categories, the second one made up of those who call everyone but Hussein a Hitler:
“The second type you have at these parades seems to be the people who want to mislabel Hitler. Everybody in the world is Hitler. Bush is Hitler, Ashcroft is Hitler, Rumsfeld is Hitler. The only guy who isn't Hitler is the foreign guy with a mustache dropping people who disagree with him into the wood chipper. He's not Hitler.”

..........

-- On the up side of war protesters:
“I'll say this about the war protesters: At least most of them are only putting duct tape across their mouths so I can still tell the rest of them to blow it out their ass.”

..........

-- On the Dixie Chicks:
“Surprisingly, making fun of the President on foreign land in a time of war doesn't seem to play with the NASCAR crowd!”

..........

-- On Peter Arnett:
“How am I supposed to trust the honesty of a reporter that has that bad of a comb-over on top of his head? He's got four hairs left and he's swirling them around...This guy is dangerously close to pulling hair over from another guy's head. Hey guess what Pete? We know you're bald, okay? The outside of your skull is as empty as the inside.”

..........

-- On Michael Moore:
“He's going to wake up every day for the rest of his life, and he's going to tell us how he hates everything about this country except his right to hate it. And then we say that we love it and he's going to tell us what naive sheep we are and that he's the true patriot because he hates it and he sees all the problems in it. Yeah, right, Mike. You know something, if my yawn got any bigger they'd have to assign it a hurricane name, okay?

“Michael Moore simultaneously represents everything I detest in a human being and everything I feel obligated to defend in an American. Quite simply, it is that stupid moron's right to be that utterly, completely wrong.”

..........

-- On justification for the war:
“It is stupid for anybody in the world to say they're for war. But I am for this war because, you know, we've got to protect ourselves now. And we've got to remind the world that there is a point that we will not be pushed past before the [bleep]hammer comes down. Now, the simple fact is, do I think Saddam Hussein can bury the nuclear jumper from the top of the key? No, I don't. He's a putz. But I do think he can distribute the ball going down the lane and I think we've got to smack him around. It's time to circle the SUVs!

“The simple fact is, you've got to view this war like we've been on a long family car ride. Bush is the father and he's been screaming [gestures with arm as if a driver scolding kids in back seat] 'don't make me come back there!' for around 200 miles now and it just reached the point where we had to pull the car over and the bad kid is going to get the spanking of his life.”

..........

-- On those whining about the length of the war:
“And now we've got people whining about how long the war is taking. For God's sakes it's been two weeks. You know, it took Joe Millionaire eight weeks to pick Zora (sp?).”

..........

-- On global warming:
“There's a lot of differing data, but as far as I can gather, over the last hundred years the temperature on this planet has gone up 1.8 degrees. Am I the only one who finds that amazingly stable? I could go back to my hotel room tonight and futz with the thermostat for three to four hours. I could not detect that difference.”

..........

-- Advise to soldiers in Iraq:
“I would encourage the boys though not to rip down all those big wall portraits of Hussein because you got to remember, pretty soon we're going to need a headstone for my main man's grave and you might want to save one for him.”

..........

-- Praising the troops:
“God knows that we've got things we've got to perfect in this country. But there's enough people downplaying it right now. I want to go so far against that. I want to thank the President. I want to thank the troops and say God bless you for doing the tough job which allows us to sit here and do the easy jobs, like be on the Tonight Show.”

Link


Dennis Franz:

Dennis Miller may be one of the few Hollywood celebrities backing President Bush's was policy, but he isn't totally alone. On the April 1 edition of the syndicated program Extra Dennis Franz, who plays “Detective Andy Sipowicz” on NYPD Blue, declared: “I think we're doing the right thing.”

Franz, who fought in Vietnam for nearly a year, urged Americans to get behind the troops: “They are defending our country. Thank God that we have people in this world that are willing to do it.”

Link


James Woods

Woods asserted: “If you want to measure people, know that Rudy Giuliani went to something like 150 funerals, you know, Senator Hillary Clinton went to zero, okay. That's the measure of a man.”



Rick Schroder:

Schroder, who is not shy about his conservative views, also met with President Bush during his brief D.C. stint. "He's a fantastic guy, let me tell you that," Schroder said. "I told him I wanted to help him get reelected."


Will update more later, to many to put in one post.